Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 3 November 2010

Cosmetic Advertisement Evaluation



On my advertisement, aimed at an audience between the age range of 14 to 17 year olds, there are specific features to it that appeal to the overall audience. The setting of my advertisement is on an American main road in the evening rush our. It is in a typical city with big skyscraper buildings and offices for big corporations and business. In the background and one of the features that brings the advertisement together, is the big sunset behind ‘Superman’. The sunset itself provides a light for Superman and to show him being a dominating figure, in the picture. It also lights up most of the picture and shows that it is dusk/evening time, and trouble and evil starts to commence at around this time, and this is when Superman does his work. The costume itself is the midway transformation between the average human that superman is, giving us a sneak peek that he is a big superhero.  The logo on his chest gives away a big clue of this. The product that is being advertised is a deodorant called ‘Unlimited’. The font itself is very plain and simple as it gives the picture a sharp tone to it to bring out all the colours in it. The deodorant can is in the right hand corner of the picture and is surrounded in an edgy; flare design, to make it separate from the rest of the picture. That the product is this glamorous and a big object that everyone wants there hands on, and only Superman has it. This is to fit with the genre that the picture fits. The slogan ‘Any man can be a super man’ suggests that if you buy this product you can be a super man and have an alternative lifestyle. It’s selling a big lifestyle. The style that it is promoting is the traditional good guy, action/super hero figure that people want to be especially at this age range. I chose this genre as I think that it would appeal to the target audience because it sells an ‘action’ lifestyle and children of this age, think that this is cool. The social group that is represented in my advertisement are skilled blue-collar workers. Such as Shop assistants, Plumbers and Builders. The target audience the advertisement is aimed at are males from the age of 14 to 17.  It would be for children who read comic books and are interested in superheroes or certain franchises in the ‘Marvel’ series. It’s aimed at children who may want to have this lifestyle and the lifestyle appeals to them. It also may appeal to children who may have certain aspirations of either wanting to be a big character, or the certain characters in these big movies, inspires them reach big in the world of work.
The strengths of my advertisements were mainly based on the design itself. Some of the effects that I used on Adobe Photoshop really brought out colours and I was able to create a sharp, edgy landscape for the background. I was able to make the product (the deodorant can) a lot more bright in the way that the glow behind it to make it the must have cosmetic. This would make it more appealing then just keeping it as an average, dull cosmetic. I was able to make the Superman figure in the middle of the advertisement, a lot more like Superman as I only had just a plain picture of Jake, and I had to change some of the colours to fit the character.  Positioning Jake in front of the sunset was a good idea as the sunset would’ve brought him out and also fitted a typical Superman scene.
Some weaknesses I had were mostly with taking Jake out of a picture. I had to cut the background out from the originally picture I took of him so I could put just him in the advertisement picture. As I did cut him out, I had to try and smooth out the edges around his body, as it would look obvious that it was taken out of a picture, but still some edges on him are still a bit rough. One big issue is that there is still colour from the original picture of which I took him in, on the left side of his glasses. However, I couldn’t take it out as there would be a big white hole in that part of his face and I would have to cover it with something. Bringing everything together, I like the picture I created and I think that all the effects of colour and light bring the advertisement together to make it a good cosmetic advertisement and appeal to the target audience.

1 comment:

  1. Well done for posting this task within the deadline. Could you revise using headings thus breaking up the evaluation into 4 paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete